Tuesday, July 15, 2014

TRAVEL REGRET # 4 Camping In Amsterdam

You know what, don’t you all just love camping. Man, what a great way to save a bit of dinero when out on the road.

I mean, is there better feeling than knowing your place to sleep for the night is strapped to your back? That once your tent has been erected and the zip zipped up, that all around you then is your personal, movable space.

Take a moment. Think about it.

There are no annoying 18-year-old American princesses jabbering loudly in the middle of the night about how amazing that last nightclub was. No Scandinavians turning the lights on in order to pack their bags at arse o’clock. No Brits comparing shades of red nor Aussies chaffing down more cheap wine than your average wino consumes in a year.

No, instead it is just you, your backpack, and whatever little else will fit in that cramped and sweaty 
space with you.

Let’s cut the crap shall we. This blog is all about regrets and at the moment I sound more like a tent salesman or some cheesy beer commercial than a man possessed by such travel demons that he feels the need to exorcise them on these pixelated pages.

Instead, let’s all admit the truth shall we: Camping is a mixed bag, great fun when done in small quantities (like tequila) but a shocker when strung out over a week, a month, or, dare I say, any longer than three months (again, like tequila).

We’ve all seen serial campers. People who have lost the will to shower, whose hair has become a matted mess that sneaks off and murders kittens in the night, whose breath is the thing of Game of Thrones legends. (Forget dragons and winter, one whiff of a serial campers breath and no amount of spear wielding mountain looking half-burned people will save your face from peeling off and dressing itself up as a kitten in the hope it will be killed of by some matted hair in the middle of the night.)

Furthermore, let’s debunk a few camping myths shall we:

a. Camping gives you your own wonderful space = Bollocks. Go travelling for more than a month and that cramped bit of a canvas lined privacy becomes nothing more than a medievally reminiscent trap designed to ensure you never escape that bear like monstrosity that your backpack has become. I mean, am I the only one who finds their backpack takes on an inverse Marry Poppins’ effect? Namely that it looks massive but you can fit bugger all into it?

b. Camping means you get closer to nature = Codswallop. Those nice, comforting sounds of animals that sing you a lullaby as your drift off to sleep become horrifically magnified in the middle of the night and, throwing in an element of half-awake madness, you become convinced that there is a wolf/panther/yeti/serial camper out there just biding its time before it slashes through your ‘waterproof’ tent’s outer layer and eats your cold sweat covered flesh like a drunk Aussie with a free kebap on George Street passed midnight.

Anyway, you get the picture. Camping is not always good times.

One example of which from my own regret filled history comes from my first real travelling adventure.

It was 2008 and, having finished my studies in Sydney the year before, I had slaved away in various language schools and managed to save up enough for that right of passage of all Australians: the Euro-trip. Now, back in 2008 I was quite the penny pincher. So much in fact that I pretty much lived off goon, a terrible boxed wine that anyone who has spent longer than a week in oz would have encountered. As you should all know, goon tastes much better when mixed with lemonade, cherryade, greenade, yellowade. Any ade basically. I, however, was so cheap I wouldn’t even spend the 50c a bottle of fizzy sweetness cost. Instead I ever opted to get as much goon down my gullet before I could really taste it through the wonders of the paper/scissor/rock drinking game. (Other great goon games include: Edward Goon hands, Goon-of-fortune and ‘av-a-go-on-me-goon-baby.)

What all this equates to is that, when I was planning my great Euro adventure, I realised that if I were to book ahead things would work out much cheaper. Well, I kind of got carried away and one week later I had an Excel spreadsheet outlining every hostel that I had a reservation in (thank you www.hostelbookers.com), every train and bus I had a reservation with (thank you www.bahn.de and www.eurolines.com) and every sight that I was due to see (thank you Lonely Planet).

A bit over the top you might think? Well perhaps I should add that such planning was for an eight month trip so… yeah, it’s safe to say I got a bit carried away.

Anyway, the first stop on this extravaganza was to be Amsterdam, a city whose mere name can conjure up all manner of regrets I’m sure. Well, I wonder how many other people’s regrets involve camping in minus 5 on the edge of the city near a motorway surrounded by mushroom tripping fellow travellers who spend the whole night declaring, ‘I. Am. Your. Friend’ with a stutter that makes their declarations the equivalent of a machine gun in the misty faded expanse known as sleep deprivation.

No one? Well, just me then.

Anyway, my trusty Lonely Planet had told me that this was a cheap option for those travellers on a budget. Considering the fact that I used to steal cheese in order to cut down on my food shopping I would say that this category was definitely the one for me.

Such a decision began to appear to be erring on the side of foolhardy the second that my tram ride out to said campsite took me passed scenic canals and leaning buildings into modern streets and suburbs before finally guiding me through an urban wasteland that, when I look back (with a slightly less than perfect memory) looked like something from a Mad Max movie (I will admit that my imagination can get the better of me in such recollections). Either way, the fact that I was taking advantage of the European honesty system soon became the least of my worries.

Finally, with an empty tram as the witness to my impending sense of both doom and regret, the driver stopped, opened the doors and shouted something at me that could have been ‘campsite’ but sounded more like ‘idiot this is where you get off and get killed, ahahahahaha’.

So, obeying his blurted commands and putting on that ‘I know what I’m doing and where I’m going’ face that a giant backpack and ashy white features dispel, I determinedly headed off with no idea at all where I was nor where I was going.  

Now, back in 2008 we had Google Maps, but we didn’t have smart phones. Or at least I didn’t. So instead of being able to check a map in the palm of my hand I had to rely on that trick of all men, bravado and sheer arrogance

‘I know where it is,’ I declared to myself even though I had no idea if I was even still in The Netherlands.

Trekking onward with a vast bypass making its presence felt to me through screaming traffic punctuated by searing silence, I did in fact manage to find the campsite and, well, it had goats so I thought to myself, ‘It can’t be all that bad!’

At this time I was still, no doubt, warmed by the tram and high somewhat on excitement. As such it was only after, having found the check-in office to be not only closed but also the kind of place used by teenagers to practice their glass smashing skills, I found myself a nice patch of grass and looked around at the three or four other tents that lay silhouetted in moonlight around me. About this time I realised that, with the onset of night, it had gotten bastard cold. Cold as a badger’s arse in fact.

Now, as I was embarking on a massive travelling adventure due to take me from The Netherlands to Greece via Eastern Europe, I had taken the executive decision not to pack too many clothes and furthermore not to pack anything too heavy.

Heavy also equals warm, I might add.

Well, having thought that May is warm in Europe (ten years in Australia had erased by childhood memories of May in England), I was quite shocked therefore when I noticed that my hands had turned blue, by feet were numb, and I was beginning to rock uncontrollably in such a teeth-chattering manner that, in hindsight, I might well have scared off some would be serial campers whose matted hair was no doubt already eying up my shampooed barnet.

What does one do in such a situation? Put on each and every item of clothing in your backpack of course. This I did, adding as well some newspaper to complete my attempts to retain even a fraction of the heat that remained deep in my core.

Did any of it help? Did it bollocks. Especially because, as well as the cold, no sooner had I started to drift off into what might be somewhere considered a slight relative of normal sleep than some drug-addled Englishman began to declare that He. Was. My. Fr-Fr-Fr-Friend!

Not the sort of thing you want to hear on the edge of a foreign city surrounded by motorways and industrial sites and populated only by a few shabby looking tents that could well house: a. murders, b. thieves, or c. murdering thieves. Call me a pessimist but I’d rather err on the side of caution thank you very much.

So, such was my first night in Amsterdam and the first night of my European adventure, a night in which I slept no more than a few winks and one which left me so cold I could barely move come morning.

If that wasn’t enough, when trying to cook up some life-giving porridge the next morning on my handy Trangia, a gaggle of local ducks came over to have a gander. Thinking them friendly little feathered fellas, I was soon a prisoner in my own tent when it became obvious that, unlike the guys of the night before, these ducks cared little for friendship. Quacks and snapping jaws made me retreat while my porridge oats were ransacked.

When I finally did manage to get myself ready and limber enough to walk I ended up spending the whole day basking in the sun of a city park desperately trying to not only stay awake but also inject an ounce of heat into my stone cold bones (I was on too much of a budget to consider going into a café or something of the like).

The tent fiasco was to continue for a few more days until, after trying tin-foil and all other survival like materials to keep warm and finding that I was missing yet another European city (this time Brussels) due to my waking dream like sleep-deprived state, I packed in the tent and splashed out on a hostel.

Luxury that proved to be.

Now, looking back, as I am want to do with these regrets, I have to ask myself what lessons I learnt from that experience?

Well, for one, planning is all well and good but from time to time it pays to check the weather.

Camping is great unless it’s minus 5 degrees (English degrees that is).

And finally, if you happen to be cooking up some porridge and a gang of ducks wanders by, best just to do as the French do, throw up your hands and declare, “I surrender!”


In order to avoid making the same mistakes as myself, I would recommend checking out some of the following prior to your trip to Amsterdam:



If you enjoy reading my Travel Regrets, have any of your own to share, or simply can’t decipher my liberal use of English and Australian slang, feel free to send me a tweet at: https://twitter.com/travelregrets




No comments:

Post a Comment