Friday, July 25, 2014

TRAVEL REGRET #5 The Blue Bad Boys of Zagreb

So I come from England. Now, when you picture that rain-blessed island known as God’s green land, what comes to mind?

Well, I think I may have already influenced your opinion one way or another by including the word rain in my question. But, what other things?

Tea. The queen. David Beckham. Football. Kilts (well, they are Scottish but same difference). Lobster like skin. Heart attack inducing breakfasts. Warm, flat beer. Funny accents. Castles.

To be fair the above is not too far off the mark. Though I have to say not many of us talk like the Queen, David Beckham is more American than English these days, not all of us burn when in Spain and very few of us eat a full English breakfast unless we are either very fat or very hungover.

Anyway, what is the point of this cultural exposition?

Well I wonder how many of you think of skinheads, hooliganism, and the grand football firms of the 1980s? Not many I suppose. Unless you happen to be a skinhead from Zagreb that is.

Yes, my latest travel regret takes us to the capital city of that surprisingly expensive yet nonetheless magnificent country, Croatia.

I travelled there alone in the summer of 2009, a trip that took me through Germany, Austria, Slovenia and Bosnia as well as Croatia. Now, that trip itself has quite a few regrets, chief among them the fact that I spent most of my time drinking way too much and eating Forneti, a diet that was to have dire consequences once I returned to Sydney and attempted to adjust to normal life.

Anyway, my first stop in Croatia was the capital, Zagreb, a wonderful place which boasts the kind of jaw-dropping architecture left by the Austro-Hungarian Empire that generally makes most of the cities in that region somewhat indistinguishable from each other.

I had settled into my hostel with a guy I’d met a week before in Bled and then bumped into on the train. We picked up some other random traveller as you do and, after leaving my bag in a private room that suspiciously looked like a grandma’s apartment complete with doilies, family pictures and a room that I was told never to enter, we set out to get some drinks and discover the city.

What we soon discovered was that people in Zagreb are fantastically friendly. In fact, no sooner had we arrived in the main square and taken up our seats around a fountain with some Ozujskos (local beer) than we managed to attract two rather funny looking fellows. Both had skinheads and a slightly aggressive way of expressing their enthusiasm. Either way, who was I to say what’s what in a foreign country? As such, I adopted the mantra of all travellers, “when in Rome” and conversed with them about a variety of topics until, when they realised I was English, the conversation turned rapidly to football.

In no time at all the larger of the two, a man who could strike fear into the heart of anyone, started to exclaim in a state of such excitement that I can still picture his jerking limbs and exploding smile how much he loved English football and especially the hooligan firms of the 1980s.

He proudly then informed me that he belonged to one such firm in Croatia and, with a chest that both swelled with pride and threateningly sought my approval, he added that his firm modelled themselves on those violent shadows of England’s past.

Well, what was I to do? Tell him I came from a town which was plagued by such hairless idiots and as such I’d been brought up ever fearful of their violent ways and senseless love of kicking the shit out of anything that slightly resembled something beyond their thought capacity?

Of course not. Instead I just went with it, much to the frowning and somewhat pale-faced disapproval of my American friend. He, sensing that it was best to simply adopt a façade and go with it, told our two new chums that he too was English, something they didn’t even bat an eyelid at even though he had such a Californian drawl that one constantly assumed he was stoned.

I should add here that, contrary to that awful piece of American propaganda, Green Street, football firms in England and elsewhere don’t really take too kindly to Americans owing to both their awfulness at football and the fact that they never seem to know anything about it.

So, when does this story become a regret? Well, reduced now to just myself, the American and these two bulky, violent and no doubt very unpredictable English hooligan loving locals, everything went decidedly pear-shaped when we all agreed on getting a tram somewhere in the city’s North to check out the best graffiti of the Bad Blue Boys, the group of interest sharing short-haired gentlemen that we had managed to get ourselves mixed with.

Looking back, it was a stupid decision. But, in my defence I was no doubt already half-cut as well as under the influence of being as open-minded as possible.

To be fair, the trip actually went quite successfully, though as I began to sober up it did begin to dawn on me that I had no idea where I was and that I was with two men who increasingly showed their violent nature as they got more and more inebriated. At some point a third, equally skin-headed, person joined us and that was when things turned truly sour. He and one of the others began to wrap arms around each other and shout in Croatian. Now, I should point out that they were enveloped in that strange, semi-homoerotic touchy feelyness that some violent men seem to develop when they get drunk and as such it was apparent that they were not going to vent their building need for blood out on each other.

Instead it became startlingly obvious that my American friend and I were being drawn into something that would equal a far worse regret than the one I am currently writing.

Sensing impending doom, my American friend and I insisted we all head back to the city. To mask our fear I adopted my best hooligan chants to keep the two hot-blooded skinheads happy and, once on a tram, they stood away from us somewhat while the third of their number, who had grown quieter as the night wore on, stood with my American friend and I.

He stared at us and we tried to look away.

I think the expression, ‘what the fuck!’ may have flashed through my thoughts as this gentleman stood and stared.

My friend and I exchanged looks, neither one of us wanting to voice what we feared was rapidly becoming a reality.

Darkness surrounded the near empty tram and it was late, much too late to be lost in a foreign city with only some drunk local football hooligans to guide you home.

Eventually the one next to us, the starey one, broke the silence with a slurred voice little more than a whisper.

“They want to rob you”, he said before following quickly, “they are drunk and they will rob you and steal everything.”

I smiled, more from fear than anything else, and looked over at the other two who, like the whole thing was planned and merely part of a movie, were staring at my American friend and I with faces that no amount of football chants would help to turn into smiles.

Shit.

“You need to get off soon, this is near where you are staying. I will come with you. We wait for the doors to almost close then we jump,” the now friendly hooligan said. How he knew where we lived I have no idea but there are many mysteries to that night.

“Why… why do…?” I began.

“They are not my friends, I don’t know them. They are bad,” the skinhead who had proved to be something of a lamb in wolf’s clothing said to us. A few questions popped into my head but before I could answer them the tram stopped. The doors opened. They stayed open.

“Now,” our new friend declared and we all jumped off just as the doors closed and the tram rattled away with only the red faces of the two other skinheads in the windows watching us.

“Come quick, they will come soon.”

I wasn’t going to argue and to be fair I was so scared I couldn’t even think. My American friend and I ran with the Croat’s shaven white head before us. We dashed along streets that were empty and down an alley that finally ended in the main square where we had met that day. From there it was a short sprint to our hostel.

We stopped outside. He looked at us, we smiled and thanked him.

“Those guys are bad guys, I’m not. Give me your number, we can hang out tomorrow,” he said.

I gave him my number with absolutely no intention of calling him and my American friend and I retreated to the safety of our hostel, shaken but thankfully not in pieces down some back alley with empty pockets.



Recently I told some friends that I spent all my time in Zagreb sitting in a hostel drinking beer and eating Forneti. They laughed and took the piss out of me. Now perhaps they’ll know why, for after that first night I was convinced that the two skinheads who’d been left on the tram would be looking for my friends and I, stalking the streets with chants lingering on thirsty lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment